Sunday, February 20, 2005

Step 1: Get off your dumper.

I am crushing your head with my thighs of steel: Crush crush crush
I feel like my body is falling apart on me (yesterday I bought pants that are a size bigger than I normally wear...bleh). And it isn't like I don't know how to get back on track. I might as well have a PhD in how to eat healthy, lost weight, and get in shape. Knowing and doing are two completely separate things. So, what do I know about how to get in shape and feel good?

It's a short list:
1. Exercise - 3 - 4 times a week (no more than that is necessary and you won't stick with it if you get super extreme)
2. Drink lots of water - 8 cups a day...no more than that is necessary - unless you are working out (and you won't stick to it if you get super extreme)
3. Don't sabotage yourself by eating garbage (you know what garbage is...it seems like a good idea before you eat it, then after you do, you feel like garbage)
4. Start every day with something healthy to eat - if you start off with something bad, the rest of the day will likely go down the toilet
5. Stay away from alcohol - they are empty calories, and the more you drink, the more you eat
6. Get enough sleep (ideally 8 hours a night, realistically 6.5 to 7)
7. Plan your meals for the week (or else you end up eating fast food every night and you stop pooping...not good)
8. Don't beat yourself up/stay positive - be nice to yourself (if you aren't, nobody else will be)
9. If you fall off the horse one day, get back on tomorrow, don't wait a week...or a month
10. Don't go it alone. Find someone who inspires you
11. Take it a day at a time, worry about tomorrow tomorrow
12. Eat until you are not hungry, not until you are full (Dolly Parton's secret for staying slim is that she leaves some food for the Angels) a little nutty, but the right idea

For today, so far I am doing well...heading to the gym momentarily, started the day with an orange, cutting back on the caffeine, menu is planned.

5 comments:

  1. i joined oprah's bootcamp with some friends of mine. why? because i, too, need to get off my dumper (the stop pooping bit made me giggle) and do sump'in.

    because i'm tired of bein' thin but not firm. i'm tired of my eat-shit days outnumbering my eat-good-stuff days.

    i'm tired of being tired all the time and having zero energy. but of course, maintaining two blogs, two jobs, and two parents (must.move.out.now) will do that to you...

    here's to dropping a size and firming the caboose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word!

    Glad to hear I am not alone, and not insane...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following a similar program since January 10. I run on the treadmill for 30 min and then do my weight lifting program on Monday, Wednesday and Friday after work. Instead of drinking a Coke every afternoon at work like I used to, I switched to drinking bottled water. I'm also limiting my fast food intake. I still need to work on getting enough sleep. I think I'll go hide out in one of the vacant offices on our floor and have a nap. Zzzzzzz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Thank you for the link! I'm glad my struggles can do someone some good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely you inspire me! It is nice to know there are other people out there feeling similar things and dealing with similar battles.

    ReplyDelete